Estimated Reading Time: 3 minutes
Things haven’t been quite the same since the pandemic, and that includes our preferences for beauty products. Japanese beauty review site @cosme just announced its 2020 Mid-Year Best Cosmetic Awards for the site’s most popular products launched between December 11, 2019 and April 30, 2020. Results show that Japanese beauty junkies are shifting their interest from point makeup to base makeup and skin care.
The three grand prizes, which are usually given to makeup products, were all awarded to skin care products this time. @cosme speculates that with social distancing lessening the need for makeup, those staying home are taking this opportunity to take a break from makeup and focus on improving the natural condition of their skin instead. The site also mentions the rising popularity of multifunctional products, possibly because parents are more preoccupied with looking after their children and have less time for beauty.
LANCÔME’s Clarifique Dual Essence Lotion came first. This multifunctional product is infused with essential oils to moisturize and enzymes to exfoliate skin. The second prize went to Attenir’s Skin Clear Cleanse Oil which contains five natural oils to brighten and condition skin. ELIXIR’s Superieur Luminous Glow Mist came third with its anti-aging formula and hygienic spray design.
The following shows the most-loved products under each category.
The list of Skin Care awardees includes a few familiar names. Kanebo’s enzyme-infused Suisai Beauty Clear Powder Wash, which was upgraded with new moisturizing ingredients, was the champion. IHADA’s Vaseline-based Medicated Clear Balm, formerly known as Medicated Balm, was also recently upgraded. ORBIS’s Night Time Pack also updated its formula with pearl, lychee and rice bran – ingredients known to be used by legendary beauties in history such as Cleopatra, Yang Yuhuan and Ono no Komachi. clé de peau BEAUTÉ’s Magnificateur Lèvres Lip Glorifier also returned with three new shades.
1. Cleanser: Attenir – Skin Clear Cleanse Oil Aroma Type
2. Face Wash: Suisai – Beauty Clear Powder Wash
3. Booster & Exfoliator: CNP Laboratory Invisible Peeling Booster
4. Lotion: LANCÔME – Clarifique Dual Essence Lotion
5. Emulsion: Bioré – TEGOTAE Moisturizing Emulsion for the Shower
6. Serum: ELIXIR – Superieur Luminous Glow Mist
7. Face Cream: GRACE ONE – Wrinkle Care Moist Gel Cream
8. Balm: IHADA – Medicated Clear Balm
9. Face Mask: ORBIS – Night Time Pack Koubijin 2020
10. Eye Care: ALBION – Wrinkle Repair Lift
11. Lip Care: clé de peau BEAUTÉ – Magnificateur Lèvres Lip Glorifier
Base makeup with anti-pollution effects was highly sought after, such as LA ROCHE-POSAY’s Uvidea XL Tone-Up Rosy Cream, LAURA MERCIE’s Flawless Lumiere Radiance Perfecting Cushion, IPSA’s Skincare Powder and CEZANNE’s Poreless Concealer. It seems people are becoming increasingly concerned with environmental pollution and its potential hazards to our skin.
1. Sunscreen: ANESSA – Perfect UV Skincare Milk
2. Face Primer: LA ROCHE-POSAY – Uvidea XL Tone-Up Rosy Cream
3. Liquid Foundation: Maybelline New York – Fit Me Dewy + Smooth Foundation
4. Powder Foundation: ALBION – White Powderlesst
5. Cushion Foundation: LAURA MERCIER – Flawless Lumiere Radiance Perfecting Cushion
6. BB & CC Cream: ONLY MINERALS – Mineral Tone Up BB Serum
7. Face Powder: IPSA – Skincare Powder
8. Concealer: CEZANNE – Poreless Concealer
9. Highlighter: IPSA Catchlight Stick
Even though Japanese consumers preferred lip makeup from famous international brands, trusty local brands still won in other sub-categories, including CANMAKE for eye shadow, excel for blush, KATE for eye shadow palette, UZU for mascara, K-Palette for eyeliner and dejavu for brow tint. Japanese consumers mainly looked for long-lasting, waterproof formulas in these categories.
1. Lipstick: YVES SAINT LAURENT – Rouge Volupté Rock’n Shine Lipstick
2. Liquid Lipstick: DIOR – Lip Glow Oil
3. Eyeshadow: CANMAKE – Silky Souffle Eyes
4. Blush: excel – Auratic Brush
5. Multi-Purpose Palette: KATE – Tone Dimensional Palette
6. Mascara: UZU BY FLOWFUSHI – Mote Mascara Color
7. Eyeliner: K-Palette – 1Day Tattoo Procast The Eyeliner
8. Eyebrows: dejavu – Eyebrow Color
Body & Hair Care
HOUSE OF ROSE’s Body Smoother won in the Body Care category with its new limited edition version enriched with Setoda green lemon. DIOR kept its #1 spot in the Perfume category from last year.
1. Body Care: HOUSE OF ROSE – Body Smoother GL (Green Lemon)
2. Deodorant: Deonatulle – Medicated Soft Stone
3. Nails: noiro – Nail Color
4. Perfume: DIOR – Miss Dior Rose n’Roses
5. Shampoo & Conditioner: &honey – Melty Moist Repair Shampoo 1.0 / Hair Treatment 2.0
Triumphing in the Beauty Tools & Accessories category, Koji’s Dolly Wink Easy Lash is an innovative product that requires only ten seconds to apply. Available in 20 different colors and designs, each pair comes with a bottle of glue and brush applicator for easy application.
1. Beauty Tools & Accessories: Dolly Wink – Easy Lash
2. Health & Beauty: SOFINA – iP Chlorogenic Acid Drink EX
@cosme Shopping Mid-Year New Best Hits
This award shows what sold the best on @cosme’s online shop.
Grand Prize: PAUL & JOE BEAUTE – Protecting Foundation Primer
1. Skin Care: LANCÔME – Clarifique Dual Essence Lotion
2. Base Makeup: PAUL & JOE BEAUTE – Protecting Foundation Primer
3. Makeup: DIOR – Lip Glow Oil
@cosme Store Mid-Year New Best Hits
This award shows what sold the best in @cosme’s physical stores.
Grand Prize: UZU BY FLOWFUSHI – Mote Mascara Color
1. Skin Care: ELIXIR – Superieur Luminous Glow Mist
2. Base Makeup: LA ROCHE-POSAY – Uvidea XL Tone-Up Rosy
3. Makeup: UZU BY FLOWFUSHI – Mote Mascara Color