diy: bunny ears

Upon arriving in the heart of Shibuya, I noticed a lot of girls wearing what I initially thought were bunny ears (Playboy fashion? o_0). Actually this ingenious little accessory is a playful twist on a head scarf with wires inserted inside to control the shape of the knot. As much as I wanted to purchase one as a cute souvenir, they ranged from ¥2000 to ¥3000, so I decided to create a DIY tutorial that you can make for less!

I used lace in this tutorial because I sewed it by hand. It’s quite forgiving since it hides the stitches and doesn’t fray. If you have a sewing machine, the sky is the limit: thin denim or cotton will do (gingham or polka dots would be really cute!). I don’t recommend satin polyester or chiffon: satin is hard to manipulate and chiffon makes the wire highly visible. Come fall, experiment with thicker knits and jersey fabrics!

Choose a gauge (thickness) that you find is both soft and easy to bend to manipulate into shapes. I am uncertain about the gauge of the wire I purchased but just make sure to get one sturdy enough to support the knot when sandwiched in between the fabric. Available in most hardware, craft and jewelry supply stores.

Thread, needle, pins, fabric scissors, measuring tape…
*Any other miscellaneous decorative bits you may want to embellish your scarf with (optional)

Fold the fabric in half and pin to secure. You will be cutting on the fold. My finished piece came out to be 40′ in length and 1.75′ wide (adjust according to your own head)

1. With a 1/2′ seam allowance, measure out the width and length on the piece of fabric along the folded edge. It should be around 4′ in width and 41′ length (includes seam allowance). Pin to mark out the strip.

2. Cut out the piece and unpin. Now your strip should be twice as long. With right sides together (ugly side facing you!), fold the strip lengthwise and pin loosely. Ironing the strip once folded will help control the fabric for more precision for the next step.

3. Sew the length of the sash closed leaving both ends open. You’ll end up with a tube.

4. Using your fingers, flip the tube inside out so that the right side of the fabric is now showing.

5. Now for the wire: measure the length of your sash and add about 2′ extra to get the length of wire you need to cut.

6. Loop both ends of the wire around your index finger to prevent snagging the fabric. Use pliers if necessary.

7. Put the wire through the fabric tube and sew down the loops lightly to prevent the wire from moving around inside.

8. Finally, close the open ends by sewing them shut and you’re done!

A few styling tips: wear it in your hair or as a neck scarf. Tie it around a straw hat to give it a different look or replace a bracelet by knotting on your wrist. Add a vintage touch to a leather purse by tying it around the strap!

DIY Photo Credits: Diana & Sam

59 comments on “diy: bunny ears

1. Ara-chan Lim August 10, 2010 5:26 pm

this is sooo cute!
    im making this in the hols!

2. Rianna Isabel Rigor August 10, 2010 5:28 pm

i really like the fact that you’re teaching us how to do this.. cause you know.. most of us wants to learn how to this after seeing some of the photo shoots wherein stars uses this.. for example.. snsd in their ceci photo shoot.. the fact that we cant afford buying this from lv.. this is really a good thing for us.. thanks.. i’ll try this.. seriously.. it’s so easy and i can even make this as a gift for my friends or relative and im sure that they’ll love it! thanks for this post! i totally appreciate it! yesstyle jjang!

3. Rianna Isabel Rigor August 10, 2010 5:30 pm

4. Stephanie Teong August 10, 2010 5:34 pm

This looks good! I will give it ago in the summer – thanks for the tip :DD

5. Mai P. Tran August 10, 2010 5:35 pm

i’ve always wanted to do this :O i saw it at the store but it’s like so expensive =.= thx for the tip <3

6. June Fung August 10, 2010 5:46 pm

WOW, this is super cute! ^3^ I want to make one too!!!!!!!! I like the fact that there are many ways you can wear it!!!!!!!!!!! Genius Idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Yogi Andersson August 10, 2010 5:46 pm

Love these bunny ears! Would they look good on a guy too?

8. Mariska Deirdre Visser August 10, 2010 5:56 pm

It’s funny how I’ve read about these for the past few weeks and now a tutorial on how to make them shows up. It’s easy too and they’re so cute! Thank you Yesstyle for your DIY tutorial on the cutest headband ever~

9. Jinju Park August 10, 2010 6:25 pm

Wuah, this is so cute! I think I must make this someday. I really really like it as a stole. ^^ It’s cute as hair accessory as well though~

10. Ginapi Teoh August 10, 2010 6:45 pm

how avant-garde!!! never think of we can diy to make us looks more fashionable.XD thx for the info.. no time to lose.. althou im a male XP

11. Christine Maniacup August 10, 2010 7:09 pm

Uwahhh!!! So cutee!!! and so easy!!!!!
    I will really try my best to do this and walk on the streets with this!
    *that’s actually my dream* LOL XDD

12. Lizzy Qian August 10, 2010 7:09 pm

These are so cute! It’s pretty simple to make as well. I can probably make a couple for my friends’ younger sisters! It reminds me of a headband (?) Dara once wore. Thanks for the tutorial!

13. Sandra Chia August 10, 2010 7:16 pm

its really great that youre teaching us how to make all these xD i never thought that we could make all these cute little stuff by ourselves! im sure to make this someday 😀

14. Annaliisa Romanenkov August 10, 2010 7:16 pm

Wow! These are sooo cute!
    I’m gonna try to make them soon.

15. Denzy Rose Tangkusan August 10, 2010 7:40 pm

Who says you need money for amazing stuff? This post just proved that you need not! :] They are really amazing. I’ll try making one maybe next week. :3 Thanks a bunch! ^^

16. Catherine Nguyen August 10, 2010 7:52 pm

these are soooo very cute^^ they would make anyone look adorable in it and the best is that it’s freeXD thanxs soooo much for posting this!

17. Kira Lawrence August 10, 2010 8:36 pm

These are soo cute, and they look really easy to make
    I might have to make one, I love how they can be used for multiple things

18. Alyssa Keovixay August 10, 2010 8:38 pm

Oh my gosh. I wanna make some now. These are too cute.

19. Oceane Lafond August 10, 2010 8:39 pm

It’s great. I think the bunny ears in Asia are well known and are truly appreciated. I often see in the street style in Japan but also very often in Korean ulzzang photoshoot and singers too.
    I think my favorites are bunny ears lace as a boater, it’s super nice and very appreciated in the street ….. is really a good idea to put this topic because it is really interresting and allow the Bunny ears of many a fan to achieve. Also I love this little accessory is really cute.thank you for this discovery

20. Cynthia Huynh August 10, 2010 9:11 pm

aw, this is such a cute idea 😀
    i’d try it, but honestly i think i’d screw it up, haha.
    it’s a good idea to do with a friend though.

21. June Lim August 10, 2010 9:12 pm

I have this at home but I didn’t know can use as bunny style. Cool and also get to learn how to make one using wire and other ways of wearing it. 😀

22. Celina Therese Cruz August 10, 2010 9:22 pm

Aww~!How cute! I would reaaally want to wear something like this but I guess I’ll just look weird. XD But,I will try to make something like this for my friend~! :3 Thank you very much for this~! ^^

23. Lyra Eusebio August 10, 2010 9:56 pm

o.O shopuld i try making this ?
    lol ` i found it soo cute ^^
    and the girls are soo beautiful (they’re asian right ? &^^&)

24. Sabrina Tam August 10, 2010 10:05 pm

Thank you SO much. This is such a multi purpose piece. I’ve been seeing this in so many photos and I was wondering how it stayed up like that. ^^ Thanks for showing us how to make it. :3

25. Victoria Huynh August 10, 2010 11:49 pm

oh my, these are so cute! i will definitely try it out someday 😀

26. Ariella Machiah Cohen August 11, 2010 12:02 am

When i first saw these when i went to Korea this summer i thought it was kind of silly, but then i saw them more and more i fell in love. This style is cute and unique. When i wore one of them to work, everyone called me bunny.haha. I will definitely try this do it yourself! Thank you so much! i can make one for every outfit i own. haha

27. Carla Martinez August 11, 2010 12:06 am

wow. this is a good idea. its cute! 🙂

28. Colleen Lisa Baggett August 11, 2010 12:56 am

I made a couple of these awhile ago after spotting them in all of the spring trends magazines.
    They are super easy to make once you’ve decided on the size of the “ears”. I made mine a little smaller and wider. They are really cute, but you get strange looks wearing them in my small country town :/

29. Abby Gabriel August 11, 2010 1:10 am

very creative, very useful, very easy to do and very cheap. great idea.

30. Carmen Li August 11, 2010 1:15 am

OMG this is so awesome a tutorial <3 yay now i can make my own instead of searching far and wide XD THANK YOIU SO MUCH

31. Caroline Pancho August 11, 2010 1:36 am

I so want to make these bunny ears! 😀
    Thanks for sharing, (:!!
    I’ve been seeing many stars wearing these
    and I really adored them since then!!
    This is really cute, and I will soon make it.

32. Germaine Foong August 11, 2010 1:43 am

This tutorial is really awesome! ^^
    I saw this head accessory last week and was tempted on getting it, but didn’t as the price was pretty steep!!
    You are my saviour!!! T_______T

33. Nino Huynh August 11, 2010 5:44 am

The steps are straight forward and the pictures are very detailed!! These look sooo cute, but I’m too shy to wear this in public ^^;;

34. Tiffany Pham August 11, 2010 5:50 am

omg how cute~! what an awesome tutorial 😀 i really like the lace one you made, it really looks great on the hat O____O! you’re such a genius *runs out to buy supplies*

35. Natalia Amaro August 11, 2010 6:43 am

aaww I LOVE them! I think I’ll try out this onwe ansd the bow bracelet! they are amazing (: great tutorial btw! ^^

36. Joana Tiedtke August 11, 2010 7:20 am

Wow I really like this 🙂 Great tutorial! I really have to try this out^^

37. Judy Seto August 11, 2010 7:56 am

did u come up with this by using the vivi book?

I like how you guys have a step by step instructions good job =)

38. Bernadette Lee August 11, 2010 8:03 am

Ahh I’ve seen these on TV a lot from Hong Kong and Korea and I really wanted one. This is really cool, I’m definitely gonna make myself one :3

39. Kimberly Tran August 11, 2010 9:19 am

I think it’s very cute! I’ve ever seen something like this before. I should make one for myself when I have an opportunity to!

40. Vy Huynh August 11, 2010 9:42 am

I love all the countless variations you can do this in – super sweet and adorable. It’s also really easy – thanks for the idea ^^ bookmarking this for sure.

41. Jessica Hoang August 11, 2010 10:22 am

This is so pretty, but it wouldn’t look right on me. D:

42. Alaniss Matte August 11, 2010 10:41 am

OMG, Thank you so much! I’ll try to do these ! It’s so pretty ><

43. Kathy Choy August 11, 2010 10:48 am

Cuteee! I want to make one but my sewing skills are mediocre and I don’t know when I would wear it ._. hehe

44. Nicole Lee August 11, 2010 11:00 am

i saw narsha from brown eyed girls wear a headband like this and i wanted one, thanks!

45. Sheila Cf August 11, 2010 11:04 am

thank you for giving us this diy! I really like this and the tips on how to wear, especially around the hat–thanks!

46. Jeannine Chea August 11, 2010 11:12 am

Thank you for posting this!
    I’ve always wanted bunny ears and because I’m such a cheap person (LOL) I told myself I would make it by hand but I never got the chance to find a tutorial or got inspired…but that’s not the case anymore 8D yay~

47. Donna Tiu August 11, 2010 11:41 am

I really appreciate this tutorial :] Now I don’t have to spend so much money on them anymore ~ 😀

48. Isabella Wang August 11, 2010 12:17 pm

This tutorial is absolutely the cutest I’ve ever seen! These “bunny ears” are so wearable and feminine, I’m in love!

49. Connie Shen August 11, 2010 12:48 pm

This is so adorable, but those smaller ribbons (second picture at the top with the blue ribbon) didn’t exactly remind me of Bunny Ears. It seems a bit more like normal ribbons. They seem really easy to make and a totally cute gift to make for those friends that like ribbon-like things. Of course, it might take practice, but it would be all worth it. I think I might poke my fingers multiple times with the needle though xD. I can’t wait to try this out!

50. Vincent Cheung August 11, 2010 1:10 pm

Now Bunny ear’s are not just for Halloween~
    Haha… either the media has gotten to me or its that girls look better with a brownish hair colour

51. Corina Montiel August 11, 2010 1:17 pm

Ohhh I thought these were Playboy bunny ears too :p These are soo cute, thanks for the how-to!

52. Christine He August 11, 2010 1:32 pm

Wow, I would have never thought of wearing a scarf like this. I probably wouldn’t wear something like it though, it’s too cutesy >.< I think the black "bunny ears" are my favorite :]

53. Kelly Lim August 11, 2010 1:39 pm

OOOOOOO this is so cute!! thanks for showing how make it!! is adorable and fashionable at the same time ^^

54. 秋山澪 August 13, 2010 10:31 pm

Must try this. Thanks so much for sharing :)!

55. Shonnae Robinson August 17, 2010 1:36 am

Great tutorial I’m gonna try the hat style one ! Thanks a million sort of reminded me of the new style of the spa trend hair accessory as well !

56. Kameko Simpson August 19, 2010 10:06 am

so perfect! my best fried loves bunny ears and now i can personalize her own!!! yay!

Comments are closed.